Friday, November 09, 2007

The Mermaid



Every day driving to and from Bellevue, Greyson and I pass by the temple of homogenized, globalized, Americanized corporate coffee - the Starbuck's headquarters building. After several weeks here, I've learned that this is the Mermaid building. Why is that you ask? High atop the tower of the massive complex, on all four sides, is the top half of the green-logoed face embellished on everything Starbucks. Her green eyes over looking Seattle make certain we have our daily intake of lattes, cappuccinos and other indulgent caffeinated beverages. Ever read the Great Gatsby? I'm a grande-soy-latte fan, and every time I order one now, I think about those green eyes and theorize why they didn't choose to put her whole face on the tower. Now, if you're thinking I'm being over the top here and that this is a mere coincidence, consider this other literary reference. In Moby Dick, Starbuck is the coffee drinking first mate! Just a thought to ponder over your favorite cup o' joe.

No comments: